Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sweet fancy bruises!

There's a creepy fairy lurking on the valance of my bedroom curtains. On Saturday mornings, when the sun starts to rise, I shake off the throes of slumber and usually end up peering at the fairy, wondering why I can't banish it back to Erin. The curtains aren't really decorated in mythical creatures; the material is a floral print. But the fabric is bunched up in such a way that my brain sees the outline of a fairy, leaning pensively on a toadstool. And it's not just me-- SO sees it, too.

A wizened face, formed by peeling paint, stares out at me from the tiny bathroom where I work; the tile floor of the break room spells out words I cannot read; and I think there's a goblin frozen in the cabinet door of my library shelves. I see images in random patterns. They are everywhere.

Sunday night, SO came home from an 11-hour day at his new workspace. Unfamiliar with the newly-constructed rental counter, he'd plowed into the corner with his tender ribs. "I think I'm going to have a bruise," he said, pulling up his shirt. Sweet Fancy Moses! The fist-sized Pollock-inspired creation hovering there sent us into shock. This was no bruise. It was an unknown biological entity (UBE).

"I think it's trying to take over your soul," I mused.

Turning my head to one side, I swear I could see the haunting profile of Alfred Hitchcock.


3 comments:

DaysOfOurLibrary said...

For any of AQ's readers who are puzzled by the hallucinatory nature of this blog entry, I feel it's important to mention that she is currently battling a crippling addiction to freon-huffing. I see this post as a cry for help. Who will join me in a cyber-intervention?

Please, think of the children.

pastgrace said...

This is so funny and timely because Storyteller in her morning greeting to me in my bathroom said, "Look mommy, there's a lion with cow's feet." I looked and sure enough I saw the lion with cows feet. To this day I can spend the night at my mother's house and see the faces in the popcorn covered ceiling over my bed. I just thought it was cool that Storyteller sees things, too.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»