Monday, July 10, 2006

It ain't easy being hot

I've been trying to imagine life without air conditioning. I have some inkling of what it's like; we didn't have central air when I was growing up -- just an enormous window unit working overtime in the South Texas humidity. None of the public schools I attended had air conditioning. We threw upon the windows and fanned away the gnats that flew near our eyes, seeking moisture. My sister and I often slept on the floor of our room, heads hanging out into the hallway to catch the faintest of drafts. I remember being very, very uncomfortable.

But it's been years since then, and I'm accustomed to being cool. I sleep with a ceiling fan on and a little one next to me whirling white noise into the night. I get cranky when I'm hot. Most people do.

A fellow cataloger passed an article to me the other day about the environmental costs of air conditioning. It made me very, very unhappy. I know I'm part of the problem. So I've been trying to kick the thermostat up a couple of notches and drive without turning on the air. Today, I had to make an emergency trip downtown to deliver some notes to my boss. I kept the windows of the car rolled down. It was freakin' hot. I started to sweat, but I didn't cave. I left the damn thing off.

I know it doesn't make a bit of difference to the environment, but I'm trying to see if I can make it when we finally have no choice. I don't want to be one of the weak ones -- weeded out by the heat index.

Thinking back, I know that the only thing that brings relief to an unairconditioned soul is water. As kids, we'd spend lots of time in the public pool, splashing the grown-ups who were chatting with each other in the shallows, or running through the sprinkler, or flopping on our bellies on a yellow Slip 'n Slide. It kept us out of the sweltering indoors.

Tonight, while walking the dog, a storm rolled in, bringing with it a welcome breeze and the blessing of rain. The boys rushed out of the house and started puddle jumping. I sat with my back against the front door and stuck my hot, bare feet into the waterfall pouring off the roof.

Sheer bliss.

No comments: