Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Marching to the beat of an Irish bodhran

LegoGuy has a new obsession. He's always been interested in Ireland, since his grandmother was born there and he's got an Irish name. We've got fond memories of him and C.F. Kats jigging along with the video of RiverDance. But now he wants to know more about Ireland's history and culture, and especially the music. He's been digging through his father's old LPs, pulling out albums by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem. SO made him some copies on CD and LegoGuy's been taking them to school in his Discman. While he rides the bus, he drums along to the beat of "Tim Finnegan's wake" and "Brennan on the Moor." One of his friends asked to hear what he was listening to and was baffled. "What the heck is that?"

"Irish folk music," LegoGuy told her with a broad smile.

Every mother thinks her kids are great, and I'm no different. My oldest has inherited his father's laid back approach to life. Rarely does he get his feathers ruffled or his nose out of joint. He's always got a smile on his face, is good-natured and sweet. The thing I most admire about LegoGuy is he's never been afraid to step away from the crowd. He likes being original.

It's no secret that I didn't enjoy my elementary school years. Middle school was better, but I wanted to be just like everybody else. I didn't want to stick out or call attention to myself. I was afraid.

LegoGuy has no fear. He'll step up and challenge intolerance. He loves politics and isn't afraid to talk about the issues, even though he's one of a handful of Blues in a sea of Red. He's concerned about the environment, and he loves his family. On Sunday, he turned down an invitation to sit with his friends at the church picnic so he could eat lunch with us.

LegoGuy is brave. He's my hero.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing isn't? Tell Legoguy he is so cool. There is a lot to be said for being an individual. I love it that he is breaking out of the mold for teenagers. Hey, I happen to know someone who plays a mean bodrhan. One of the bands I know no longer asks him to play with him because he is a bit of a ham but he is very good.

pastgrace

Anonymous said...

The famous Irish musician you mentioned was Tommy Makem (not Macon). I know what pastgrace was saying about the Oklahoma City area bodrhan player; I saw him steal a show from that band when he got a chance to solo. I recommend Jean Hill's Irish Arts Oklahoma branch of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann for a variety of dance, instrumental, and other cultural opportunities.

LittleBerk

Adjective Queen said...

Thanks, LittleBerk. Fixed it.