Saturday, January 27, 2007

Be careful what you wish for

After moaning about the dullness of a routine life, we took a little walk on the wild side last week. We had us a plumbing problem. A big one. Snaking the pipes wasn't going to do it this time. Instead, it was jackhammer time.

"Looks like they might have to take up part of the kitchen floor," SO told me after the first plumber visited on Monday.

"They are not tearing up my ceramic tile!"

"Or they might have to go through the library floor."

"Not the wood floors! I'll lug the clothes to a laundramat for the rest of my life before I let that happen."

"Be reasonable," said SO. "We can't use the dishwasher or the kitchen sink. There's a hole in the pipe. It's all got to be replaced."

Shuddering, we put our heads together and called in the big guns. Time to network through family.

I know I've spent a lot of time whining about the dysfunctional vein that runs through our clans, but when the chips are down, nobody pulls together faster than us hillbillies. It's one thing for me to make fun of my own, but then again, I've earned that right. Regardless of past issues, I started making some calls and found a plumber related to my sister's second husband. We didn't want any kind of discount, SO reassured him. We just wanted someone we could trust.

"Hell, you're family," he said, and by Thursday his crew was on the scene, tearing up the back patio and ripping the dishwasher out of its cozy nook. When I got home from work that evening, I surveyed the damage in shock. There was a 4-foot deep hole and an enormous pile of dirt,, clay and concrete just outside the back door. Mud tracks traced the path of the plumber. The dishwasher was jammed in the corner, looking rather like the assassinated corpse of Julius Caesar abandoned by his murderous senators (okay, that's a stretch, but we're still watching Rome, and that's the first comparison that came to mind). Another deep hole was excavated from beneath the floor where the dishwasher had been, tunneling under the sink and to the outside. From there, chaos spread through the entire house. Everything was out of order. SO was in a panic, the boys were down to a couple pairs of boxers and stained vacation t-shirts, Bella looked like she was only a bark away from a nervous breakdown. It was time for me to take charge.

At least, it was time for me to think I could take charge. I took a vacation day and started putting the house back in order, working from the room furthest from the problem. I am always soothed my cleaning; it's not something I particularly look forward to doing, but when I'm in the middle of it, I tend to fall into a Zen-like meditation. By lunch time, I'd gotten things the way I wanted and the plumbers were breaking for lunch.

"Should be able to run all that laundry by 3 o'clock or so," said Mike, former motorcycle racer and all-around nice guy. He had a tendency to groan loudly when bending or maneuvering heavy pipe into place, which really freaked me out at first.

"Motorcycle accident," SO whispered when I voiced my concern. "Major nerve damage. Took a year to recover."

"Good God!" Surely plumbing wasn't the most comfortable job for Mike to be doing. But, other than the loud groaning, he had no complaints.

Since I'd tidied up all I could, I had a little time to watch a documentary that had been languishing near the TV for a couple of weeks. I even walked up with LegoGuy to get Sport from school. It was a beautiful day and we took Bella. In the midst of all the chaos, I found myself having a pretty good time.

The pipe was replaced, The plumbers cleaned everything up as well as they could, and promised to be back on Monday to reinstall the dishwasher and put the shelves under the sink back together. I spent all day Saturday doing laundry, and things are pretty much back to normal. I even got to go to a poetry reading to hear one of my friends read her work.

After this crazy week, I'm looking forward to routine.

7 comments:

QueenBee said...

I just sent you an email stating that I love being a homeowner, now I'm not so sure. Enjoyed reading that entry.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! How horrible. Can't wait to be a one house houseowner. I'm backing to having nightmares! How I wish someone would contact us out of the blue wanting to buy the stupid lake house. pastgrace

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! How horrible. Can't wait to be a one house houseowner. I'm backing to having nightmares! How I wish someone would contact us out of the blue wanting to buy the stupid lake house. pastgrace

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! How horrible. Can't wait to be a one house houseowner. I'm backing to having nightmares! How I wish someone would contact us out of the blue wanting to buy the stupid lake house. pastgrace

craftyminx said...

Yes miss queen, I do sometimes sit on the couch and do nothing but watch tv, but its hard. I usually end up bored and grab my knitting or a book to look through. I'm too much of a multi-tasker to stay still for long. Patches is a mixed, austrailian shepard, border collie, blue heeler. I miss her now that he took her away to his house. :-(

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd be reading a book about Robert Benchley (one of my personal gods)--you have a nice touch with domestic disaster.

Le Bohemian Corsair said...

My dear AQ, I feel for you, but I'm glad that everything turned out nicely in the end. I'm ipressed that you always seem to be able to make time for everything. Whoooo!