Monday, February 05, 2007

"Do you believe you can win?" Duh!

Most hilarious thing overheard at Sunday’s Super Bowl party:

M: Do you believe that? Hey guys, did you see that?

SO (conversing with Son of Tex): See what?

DoOL: (Head down, concentrating on a Scrabble move, says nothing.)

AQ: Mmmm, sorry, wasn't paying attention.

C.F. Kats and her mother shrug. Both are doing schoolwork.

M: Unbelievable! This is a Superbowl party and nobody saw the play?

Sport: I saw it. He was in.

Hate to say it, but I was more mesmerized by the commercials and Prince’s half-time performance than by the actual game. Despite all of Saint’s efforts, I can’t find much in football that really appeals to me. If you’re gonna have athletes out on the field, at least take off some of the padding. (This is why I like soccer. At least I can see the muscular calves and thighs; I don’t have to imagine what they look like.) The best thing about this much-hyped event is the opportunity to get together with a bunch of friends, catch up, and eat a bunch of delicious but nutritionally-deficient junk food.

If you still haven’t yet had your fill of the Super Bowl, check out Sports Illustrated’s Dumbest Super Bowl Questions. My personal favorite is #15, followed closely by #13.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dumb Question #20:
To Broncos QB John Elway: "Are you going to listen to Stevie Wonder perform at halftime?"
Answer: Sure, if he watches me play.

QueenBee said...

I only made it through the first half and was quite disappointed when the Bears lost. It's just great the history was made!

St. Fiacre said...

Yeah, actually, I think questions like 13 and 15 are the kind I would ask. I can't stand those stupid standups where the reporter chirps, "What's it like to lose?" I always have told myself if I ever have a brush with greatness to ask a question like that. Guess I dumb!

I read a great line in answer to the question why the Super Bowl still matters to society -- because everyone who grew up in America has chosen to play football or not.

ps Pads actually increase the violence on the field. The padding and helmets also perpetuate the metaphor of football as representation of 20th Century man. We are (were?) all faceless cogs in the great machine, each performing our specialized role. Soccer is so 19th Century.

Anonymous said...

Now it looks like soccer is so Mafia. In Italy, they're killing cops. They're fixing games. Hey Guido, give him a free shot he can't refuse . . .