Monday, April 16, 2007

I work here, I carry a badge

Our library is where security guards go to die.

Well, not literally, but since a terrible robbery attempt in which a friend of mine was injured, we've had need of a security guard to protect us. But, this being a library, we get our gun-wielding heroes from an organization that made the lowest possible bid for our security contract. In a dismal parade of the desperate and incompetent, the characters who have come into the front door (and then quit, were fired, or were reassigned) have included:

Lonely Divorced Guy: He was always on time, his uniform pressed neatly and his shoes buffed. He made his rounds with purpose and stayed at his desk near the library entrance. But he had a way of saying things to women that were a little creepy. He followed female customers around the stacks and asked for their phone numbers. He once told me I had pretty little feet and asked if I was "happily" married. LDG really wanted to date somebody -- anybody -- and enough people complained about him that he was fired to make room for...

Neurotic Crafter Girl: Thin to the point of emaciated, dark circles under her eyes, NCG looked like she was trying to kick a heroin habit when in reality she was only trying to stop smoking. Her nervous energy haunted everything she did, whether patrolling the library grounds, waiting for the UPS guys to unload, or confronting the homeless. In an effort to calm her down a bit, our children's librarian asked NCG to help with a craft program, inadvertantly unleashing a monster. She became so consumed with the crafting bug that around Valentine's Day, she collapsed under the weight of too many hand-crafted puffy hearts, making room for...

Tattooed Biker Guy: Not quite able to afford a Harley, TBG owned a respectable Honda and a series of increasingly violent tattoos. He could barely keep awake due to his late night efforts to score with the ladies, and he developed a crush on one of the women I work with, lingering far too long near her desk when our boss was gone. Hanging out at the circulation desk, boring the circ clerks and scowling at the little kids who lined up to use the computers, he was finally transfered to another location, to make room for...

Personal Space Invader: The latest addition to our security detail, PSI is only months shy of his 80th birthday. Hunched over, hard of hearing, and, I believe, recovering from a stroke, PSI shuffles into our office about 3 or 4 times a day and pauses at each work station, staring intently at objects and the shapes and contours of our desks. I'm very particular about my own personal space, and Friday, when I felt his breath on the back of my neck as he peered over my shoulder to look at my computer screen, I got a little freaked.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Nope. Just bored. I'm a little nosy, like to look around. Gotta keep busy somehow."

He continued to hover just behind me. Trying to find an escape from this invasion, I sent something to the printer and stood up to go get it. I actually bumped into him in my hurry to get away.

I know for a fact that he pulled a similar stunt on my boss, so I'm doubting he'll be back next week. I'm trying to imagine who'll fill his shoes. Personally, I hope it's a trained attack dog. Somehow, I'd feel safer.

8 comments:

DGB said...

Coming up next, Liberals Are the Root of All Evil Guy. This is the fella who still listens to Rush Limbaugh every day--and takes him seriously. He can't understand why everyone got so angry with Don Imus. And he's going to get a crush on you until he starts thinking that your surname is too Jewish. Rent-a-Cops: Security for All Seasons.

craftyminx said...

bring on the attack dog!!! This made me laugh a LOT! Having a cousin that was a guard for a while has made me understand why such losers are the only ones who work for security companies.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have nothing witty to say, but this gave me a hearty chuckle.

QueenBee said...

So how many have come and gone since I left?

Okay the space guy is creepy, but I found the entry LOL funny!

Adjective Queen said...

LDG has come back as a customer, hoping to catch a glimpse of you, no doubt. Honestly, I think we've had at least 6 come and go since you moved away.

St. Fiacre said...

What is PSI doing in your area anyway? Ours don't go anywhere near our non-public work areas. Oh, but the stories I could tell if I weren't not so afraid of getting dooced.

Does Personal Space Invader do the little side-to-side shuffle like the guys on the video game?

Anonymous said...

The scary part is, none of this is embellished in any way. Think about this, folks: PSI was 13 years old WHEN PEARL HARBOR WAS BOMBED! And he's in charge of making sure we are secure? And from the comments he's made to me and other employees, we know he's not the most liberal dude in Oklahoma, if you catch my drift. ;)

RadCat