Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Too sexy for my cape

Move over Jake -- I’ve got a new crush! My sister’s got me watching a rather cheesy but quite sexy Lifetime series called Blood ties. In my mountains of spare time, I’ve been watching an episode here and there. The creepy thing is, the actor who plays vampire Henry is only 23 years old, about the age of one of my nephews. Salivating over gorgeous young men while the gray creeps into my hair -- is this what I've got to look forward to as I approach middle age?

There's something about a vampire, though. In my opinion, vampires are the sexiest of the supernatural baddies. Ever heard of paranormal romances? A whole crop of romance writers have seized hold of the vampire genre and turned the walking dead from villains into great but misunderstood guys looking for true and eternal love. Sure beats Nosferatu! Werewolves also crop up now and again as leading me, but I haven't yet run across a drop-dead gorgeous zombie or mummy. I can't imagine how a writer could turn a zombie into a sexy leading man: glazed eyes, cold skin and a penchant for human brains would be a turn off for most ladies.

One of the more interesting takes on vampirism came in a romance novel I skimmed that chalked the phenomena up to a genetic disorded passed down within families. These vampires didn't have any kind of paranormal powers, nor did they live forever, but they had to stay out of the sunlight and needed a fresh supply of blood every now and then. Something to do with their blood's inability to clot.

I wouldn't mind sharing a little of my blood with Henry, but I doubt it would revive him much. He'd probably just want to curl up with a good book, or watch a movie like Shaun of the dead. That is one hilarious zombie movie!

3 comments:

pastgrace said...

Lynsey Sands' vampires are way cool; plus she doesn't take the romance very seriously. She is so funny. The last time I read one of her books I just cracked up laughing for several minutes. Passionfruit wanted to know what was so funny. I read the scene to him but alas the scientific brain of his didn't see the hilariousness of the situation.

Anonymous said...

23 is not so bad. It's not like your old enough to be his mom or anything. Oh, wait a second ..... ummmm .... never mind!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry ladies, but romantic vampires are just so wrong. Go back and re-read Stoker's description of Dracula. He's about as romantic as ten-day-old road kill. Vampires are EVIL. Unlike werewolves, they choose to be evil. Besides, how can you be hot when you're dead, unless your corpse is being cremated?