Monday, July 09, 2007

Wherefore art thou, RadCat?

It's only the first day of RadCat's vacation, and already a pall has settled upon all of us. His empty seat -- so vacant, so lonely -- calls out to all of us. One by one, co-workers take a turn sitting in the chair, but nothing, no one can take his place. His laughter echoes off other walls. His political commentaries tickle the ears of others. His cell phone rings in another state. We are left only with a light dusting of black gunk from the air conditioning vent above his desk, and a framed photo of Tiny Kiss, posing for a non-existent audience. Oh RadCat, two weeks is such a long time!

Besides missing my little brother, I've been pretty busy. Took my grandmother to church with me on Sunday. She was eager to get out of the care center. My church is probably the most liberal church in Oklahoma City, and we are open and affirming. Unlike other area churches, all are welcome, despite sexual orientation.

"It's not anything like a Nazarene church," I warned her. She had been, after all, the wife of two pastors, one Nazarene and one Methodist. But Grandma has always been a open-minded individual, and she wasn't at all bothered about visiting a UCC church. In fact, she had nothing but praise for the building, the visiting preachers (ours is on vacation) and the people.

Her one complaint? "There aren't that many good looking men here, are there?"

At least there weren't that many over the age of 80.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean her "love affair" with Mister T is over? She's scouting for a new beau? [Just kidding.]

I think it's great you took her to church with you.

pastgrace

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the black gunk is still drifting down upon my old desk! I remember how I use to consider drapping my desk with a sheet over night so I won't have to dust every morning! Not to mention what it looked like after a weekend. Wonder if you all are going to die from the "black lung" disease.

pastgrace

Adjective Queen said...

Lots of gunk -- still. And I don't think Grandma would rule out yet another boyfriend. She's feisty!

Aaron K. said...

I miss you guys too. Maybe I'll give you a call tomorrow when we're on the road to Seattle. I miss my picture of Tiny Kiss too!!