Monday, March 03, 2008

Just eat your apple pan dowdy

Another strange case of serendipitous reading. I was in the library staff lounge during my lunch break, and saw that someone had baked and left a generous serving of "apple pan dowdy" for us to enjoy.

Apple pan dowdy? What the hell is that? I'd never heard of it. It wasn't something my generation made for Superbowl parties or other get-togethers.

I picked at it with a fork and took a bite. Definitely not for me.

So, I sat down to eat my lunch and read my book, Free for all, by Dan Borchert, and when I turned the page, I came across the phrase "apple pan dowdy." Apparently, someone had baked one for the author and delivered it to his library via cab for the staff to enjoy.

What to make of this bizarre coincidence?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

doodoodoo doodoodoo... Welcome to the twilight zone. pastgrace

rocksandhardplaces said...

Shoo fly pie and apple pan dowdy. Makes your eyes light up and your tummy say howdy. Shoo fly pie and apple pan dowdy, I never get enough of that wonderful stuff. Ella Fitzgerald? And Little Laura at Blues Alley in Memphis.. ah, good times ;)