Monday, June 26, 2006

An inconvenient everything

That's great, that's just f---ing great, man. Now what the f--- are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now, man ... That's it man, game over man, game over, man! Game over! What the f--- are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?


I'm no alarmist, but I've just seen Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth, and I gotta tell ya, this is a scary, mind-blowing walk into the end of the world as we know it.

On bad days (and I've had a lot of bad days since the Bush Administration took hold of the country's helm), I'm not above wishing for some kind of flu pandemic that reduces the world's population by half, but I always manage to pull myself out of a depressive funk by focusing on the good things human beings have accomplished: art, music, literature, Junior Mints. It's not all war, racism, greed, and Mounds Bars, right?

I really don't understand how anyone can see the movie and dismiss it outright as a partisan rant. It's obvious how much Al Gore cares about this issue. He is much more energized by the subject than he ever was by the possibility of being president. Sure, the film makes some digs at the current president and the administration's anti-science bias, but the photographic evidence of what is happening in the polar regions should call all of us to action, regardless of political affiliation. If Gore turns out to be Chicken Little, then so be it. If it turns out some of the facts have been skewed a bit to make a point, so what? Global warming is real. I'd rather err on the side of caution than to watch my home state of Oklahoma be converted into beachside property.

Our honorable, elected officials are too busy stuffing their pockets with gold to realize that it's hard to swim weighed down like that.

The one benefit of sitting by and watching while the human race destroys itself is knowing that the earth will be able to heal itself over time. Once those pesky people are gone (and given about a 10,000 year window) some other critter will step up to fill the evolutionary niche left empty by the elimination of homo sapiens.

I hope it's not the cockroach. I hate cockroaches.

No comments: