Thursday, June 22, 2006

Soccer sensory overload

The World Cup is wearing me out -- I've watched more soccer in the last 2 weeks than I have since -- well, since the last World Cup. Last night I was out kicking the ball with Sport, and, I kid you not, after about 15 minutes, I was so winded I could barely walk. I felt a twinge of shame because I'd found myself shouting at obviously exhausted players to "Hurry up and get the ball down there!" So much easier to coach from the comforts of a big couch than to play the game.

Although I was rooting for the USA (since I am kind of partial to my country) I'd developed a real fondness for Ghana as they progressed, holding their own and even beating some really good teams. I've found my underdog, and I'll be rooting for Ghana in the next round. As an underdog myself, I like a good success story. It remains to be seen if they can take it to the next level. It's going to be awfully challenging.

Never been much of a sports fan. Never had any natural athletic ability. My sister was a bit of a tom boy: she ran track, played basketball, and was a soccer goalie. I joined track so we could run together, but I lacked that certain spark. I hated any and all physical activity on the playground. It was hard to foster a love of athletics when it was my head being targeted by the dodge ball. I discovered volleyball in college. That was a lot of fun, but since I'm short, I could never spike it.

SO is a huge soccer fan, so in order to keep and hold his attention back in our early days of dating, I decided I'd better at least pretend to be interested. Surprise, surprise -- I actually liked the game. I like that it's relatively short -- only 90 minutes. Watching a skilled player dribble the ball down the field and shoot on goal is a real thrill. And those soccer bodies -- well, they are works of art in themselves.

When we were sophomores, my college roommate and I had a particular interest in a Canadian soccer player. He was so blonde, his eyebrows and lashes disappeared into his face. He had the most muscular thighs and legs we had ever seen. He could do things with that ball that defied the laws of physics. Looking at him, we sinned in our hearts.

I'm going to be watching David Beckham in the England vs. Ecuador game on Sunday ... and sinning in my heart.

No comments: