Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Down the rabbit hole

When I woke up this morning, I thought I'd somehow been transported to a parallel universe. How else to explain:


  • Democrats taking the House
  • Democrats close to taking the Senate
  • Donald Rumsfeld resigning
  • Bush admitting Democrats care about national security as much as he does
  • Bush offering to help Nancy Pelosi decorate her office as she becomes the first woman Speaker of the House

Where's the Mad Hatter? Where's the White Rabbit?

I went into the midterm election with about a 90% certainty that, despite the apparent mood of the country and will of the people, dirty politicians would somehow fix the election to skew their way through voter intimidation, malfunctioning Diebold machines, and subterfuge. I had only a smidgen of hope that things would turn out the way I wanted: I want the 2-party system to work again!

Tomorrow, I'll start fretting, but today I'm letting myself feel happy and hopeful about the future. I heard some nameless commentator say that people who were worried about the direction of the country and the state of American democracy should be happy today. It still works! This guy says it better than I could: Is America a great country or what?

Cataloged a fun book this afternoon aimed at elementary kids: If you were an adjective. On the back, the author writes: If you were an adjective, you would make the world colorful. You could be spectacular, brilliant, dazzling, or daring. He offers a challenge: write your name from top to bottom and think of adjectives that describe you.

  • Audreyesque
  • Quirky

or

  • inQuisitive
  • fUn
  • Energetic
  • Empathetic
  • Nice

I cheated a little, but I think it works.

Okay, humor me. Saint, DoOL, Gypsy, Minx, Loonie, PastGrace, and other faithful readers, it's your turn!

8 comments:

craftyminx said...

Creative
Reserved
Astute
Flunky
Teachable
Youthful
Merry
Individual
Narcoleptic
Xantippe (just for gypsy)

QueenBee said...

When I heard about the election results, I knew you would be thrilled. I can hear the buzz in the office, wish I was there! I was a bit disappointed when I went to be Tuesday night and Harold Ford, Jr. only had 46% of the votes. I think he is sincere and would have represented TN well. But I'm glad it's over, one more campaign commercial and I was going to explode.

My adjectives:

Exuberant
Compassionate
Genuine
Witty
Reserved (it like that one craftymix)

QueenBee said...

Okay, that's supposed to BED no be Tuesday night.

QueenBee said...

Okay, no is supposed to be not. I guess I need to add another adjective, dim-witted.

Le Bohemian Corsair said...

Oh, Minx - how long did you have to scour the net to find that tidbit of trivia? hee hee. No fair - my name is too long - but here goes; I also note that the adjectives don't really have to apply to you, but how you'd like to be perceived, right?

Grandiose
Youthful (sorry minx)
Perspicacious
Sardonic
Yeti-like

Flagrant
Omnivorous
Lucky
Kwality - hee hee
Lascivious
Outrageous
Respectable
Itinerant
Stubborn
Tortuous

craftyminx said...

haha yeti! I think someone else should do some scouring...

St. Fiacre said...

inQuisitive? fUn? That's the best you can do? With Quahoggish, Quixotic, Quantum, and Quizzical out there? And having 10,000 adjectives made possible by adding Un- to them like Unflinching and Unconquerable and you pick fUn? And you call yourself the Adjective Queen....

Saturnine
Truthful

Fulgent
Iconoclastic
Arrogant
Cranky
Romantic
Empathic

Special Totally Eighties Edition!

Stoked
Tubular

Fly
Ill
Awesome
Chillin'
Rad
Excellent

Le Bohemian Corsair said...

Oh yeah, when you say nice - I assume you mean exacting and not sweetly pleasant. I mean, I can see both, but really.