Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I am not a loser.

I finished my Santa pillow! I started cross-stitching way back in 1994. As I was decorating the house for Christmas last weekend, I realized that I may be going overboard on this particular tradition. I've got about 16 of these, and I'm running out of places to put them. No, I don't keep them out all year, if that's what you're wondering. (I'm not a loser -- like Drew Barrymore's character in Never Been Kissed.) If I did that, they'd end up being ruined by the kids or chewed up by the dog. They come out once a year, and then are tucked back in the closet for the next 11 months.



This one, titled Santa & Friend, is my most recent.
(Click on photos to enlarge.)






Here's 3 others. Doesn't look like it, but that Merry Christmas one took longer than the other two.



This is the first one I made: Santa's enchanted sleigh.





My favorite: Santa Moon. The pattern wasn't difficult; it was the crazy quilt embroidered edges that nearly did me in.




Speaking of Christmas traditions, we've acquired so many over the years, it's almost hard to get them all in. To begin with, we decorate the tree the first weekend of December. I try to get the boys a special ornament from Hallmark. LegoGuy's been collecting the Kiddie Cars series since he was 2; unfortunately, the newest one is now sold out so I'm going to have to find it on Ebay -- at an exorbitant mark-up -- if he's going to have a complete collection. Sport's never found a series he likes. Last year he wanted a Harley Davidson motorcycle; this year, he went for the USA team jersey and soccer ball.

We've got 3 movies we watch: It's a wonderful life, A Christmas story, and A Muppet Christmas Carol. I usually take the boys to see the lights at a nearby children's home. We always head over to the Saint's house to decorate cookies with assorted icings and sprinkles.

I make up a Christmas letter and mail it to all our friends and relatives. Then there's usually a large family gathering at my family's house, after which we head over to SO's family for more merrymaking and gift-exchanging.

My favorite tradition, however, is the Christmas Eve candlelight service at my church. It's quiet, reflective, and beautiful -- a perfect ending to a busy, busy season.

Then, once January rolls around, it's time for me to start working on my next pillow. I've already picked out the pattern: Santa's midnight journey.

Okay, maybe I am a loser.

6 comments:

craftyminx said...

I love your pillows! You're not a loser.

QueenBee said...

You are not a loser. I think your traditions are great and if more people actually took the time to reflect on what Christmas is about, the world would be a better place. If you run out of space to store you pillows, I'll take a couple off your hands.

Anonymous said...

Your not a loser. You have wonderful family traditions that your children enjoy. I'm the loser.

pastgrace

Adjective Queen said...

I guess we all have aspects of our lives that we think are a little silly, but others look at and admire. Thanks for the positive comments. I think you all are winners!

St. Fiacre said...

Hey, didn't I give you the pattern on the first one? It looks familiar. Or maybe just been looking at it for 12 years.

You have discovered the very reason I started knitting. Admittedly you are making heirlooms, but I got tired of making stuff that just collected in a closet. At least I can give away the stuff I knit. No one ever wants x-stitched stuff; or at least stuff I made.

I always liked that red one.

mmmmm...you still might be a loser, though. a lovable one, though.

just kidding...

...about the loser part, I mean.

Le Bohemian Corsair said...

just sos ya know I read this post when you first made it, but had nothing to comment on. But in order to maintain the status of biggest fan -- I am writing now. I too really like the santa moon pillow -- it is sweet!!