Sunday, December 31, 2006

Nice pants

It's Day 7 of my Christmas vacation and I can feel my brain turning into jelly. It doesn't help that I tend to follow the boys around with a dustpan. Our house is small and with four bodies filling it from room to room, the clutter tends to pile up. Also, there's no escape from the Xbox, EPL review shows, GI Joe war games, or wrestling matches, so I'm going a little batty. We've had several days of rain, and now it's cold.

Honestly, I am counting the hours until I go back to work on Tuesday. I take refuge in the quiet repetitiveness of my job. Once everyone finishes sharing their New Year's celebration stories, I'll be back into the rhythm of productivity.

I have, however, been relatively productive here. I rallied the troops the day after Christmas to get all the decorations down and the house back to normal. I've worked on my scrapbooks and watched a couple of documentaries: Guns, germs & steel and When the levees broke. I've finished 4 books and am about to finish a 5th. I've made curtains for the boys' room and the guest room. We scouted out some new shades at Home Depot for our bedroom and the bathrooms. I've taught Sport how to do some strategic planning in Scrabble (he's getting pretty good) and we all tried to learn how to play our newest boardgame, Cranium.

I guess I'm feeling a bit of the post-Christmas letdown, although I'm glad it's over. I hate the way I feel the week before Christmas. Maybe it's my own weird hypersensitivity, but I swear I feel a pulsing energy rising from every store and home, a kind of collective desperation to meet ridiculously high expectations that gathers and melds into a shimmering entity that hovers over the city. I try to stay out of it myself, but it's not easy. And everytime I turn on the radio, someone is covering "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas." As far as I'm concerned, only 2 people are allowed to sing that song: Judy Garland and Karen Carpenter. For anyone else to attempt it is blasphemy.

I wore my new pants today. I finally caved in and purchased a pair of flaired hip-huggers. It took me back to their days of origin -- circa 1970. I was in elementary school and somehow acquired a stylish pair of white flaired pants. I can't remember shopping for them. Perhaps they were pulled out of the church donation box, as were many of our clothes. In that time, kids didn't really care what they wore, but I fell in love with these pants. They had at least a 12-inch spread and made a satisfying swish when I walked. (I would have worn them everyday if given the chance, but my mom manage to sneak them away for a washing when dirt rings formed on the hems.) Coordinated with a jazzy pink plaid top and platform shoes, I felt like a million bucks -- if, that is, I ignored my Bugs Bunny overbite and waifish freckles.

Anyway, I thought I might be pushing it, trying to wear pants similar to ones I wore in the 3rd grade. But Gouldie said they looked good, and hey, I really love these pants.

Happy New Year, everybody!

3 comments:

St. Fiacre said...

I'm sooooo glad your new pair wasn't white... You did look really good in your new/old outfit, though, Queen.

Remember the line from "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"? - 'and mom and dad can't wait for school to start again' But then I'm one of the annoying types that get into the whole thing. The only thing I hate is going to church on Christmas Eve. Why bring all this solemnity into the season? :-)

clothedambition said...

Be sure to stop by the Yahoo group THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE for our New Years Spectacular. are featuring loads of rare recordings including Judy in a New Years skit,
a few snatches of Judy singing On The Good Ship Lollypop, an ultra
rare duet from the mid sixties, Judy on You Bet Your Life (sort of)
with host Grouch Marx (this sketch is a lot funnier than the last
Groucho/Judy sketch we had), a lost interview from Las Vegas, tons of
rare songs and so much more. So be there or be square!
If you are not yet a member of THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE, don't you
think it's time you joined? I mean you're missing out on all the fun!
Come join us now, everybody is welcome.
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

craftyminx said...

Happy New Year! I'm glad to see that you've got so much stuff done around the house. Maybe I'm still too young to actually get things accomplished on vacations, but nothing ever gets done when I'm home. Except for knitting. haha

Isn't it funny how we all have certain Christmas songs that can only be sung by certain artists for us to like it? Mine is definitely Whiteheart's version of "The Little Drummer Boy." Although, the worship band at Lifechurch did rival it last week, with their section of a garbage can stomp tribute in the middle of the song. Awesome!

We've missed you this week. It will be great to see you tomorrow!