Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tortilla blues

There's something about a tiny pool shaped like a tortilla chip and a dozen teenagers that doesn't quite work. After our 8+ hour drive and eating at one of the delicious New Mexican restaurants, the boys wanted to unwind at the pool. SO and I flipped a coin to see who the unlucky chaperone would be. Me, of course.

But they were already there: a large group of hormonal, squealing girls and their equally hormonal though less giggly boys. I think they were a traveling choir, coming from God knows where. I'm pretty sure they were a singing group of some kind. Oddly, one of the boys continued to sing a phrase from a song that was popular when I was in college.

"Josie's on a vacation far away, come on in and talk it over..." At the top of his lungs.

Sarah Vowell does a hilarious bit for This American Life about the difference between choir kids and band kids. I'm sure I can't do it justice, but she says there's no way a band kid is going to start humming the harmony he usually plays on his baritone, while a choir kid doesn't hesitate to break into "How do you solve a problem like Maria" in the hallway while switching from 5th hour to 6th, and half a dozen of her friends will join in as well.

One girls was so loud, I kept giving her "the look." It usually works with my kids, but she was unaffected. She even called me "the woman," which annoyed me to no end. "Don't splash the woman!" she said in a baby voice that set women's rights back 30 years. I really despised her. She didn't want to get her hair wet, so of course, the boys immediately dunked her. Mascara ran down her cheeks like a bruise.

When my tender ears couldn't take it anymore, I rounded up the boys so we could shower and go downtown to walk around the plaza. I had a better time talking to the Santa Fe Public librarians. They were much more composed and called me "young lady."

My pride was soothed.

3 comments:

St. Fiacre said...

Pool, schmool...did you get any sleep? That's hy I hate traveling anymore. Everywhere you go there are roving bands of kids running up and down the halls, crowding the pools, making countless trips to the ice machine and not a single adult in charge. Usually, it's a sports tournament, but when the group is particularly rowdy, I frequently peer over the handrail to see a church van.

Have fun! Good luck with the restrooms and I hope you brought a good book to tide you over while you sit in Santa Fe traffic...

Guy Gadbois said...

I hope you see some of the fine characters in the Plaza like I did.

Anonymous said...

Well at least you didn't have "the moment" when you held "the girl" under the water until she repented her damning you to obscurity.

pastgrace