Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Just call me Sisyphus

I’m not proud of it, but I had a major meltdown in front of the kids. It may have been brought on by one dirty sock too many left on the floor, one too many misplaced shoes, one too many pairs of glasses hit on the door jam and stretched out of shape despite the fact we’d gotten them from the optometrist’s shop less than 24 hours before. Anyway, I snapped. “I don’t get paid enough to be your mother! Where’s my 15-minute break?”

I spent the weekend laboring like Sisyphus, trying to keep one step ahead of them in their endless attempts to trash the house. They don’t do this maliciously. They are simply oblivious to clutter. Trust me, I’ve tested them. I once placed a basket of neatly folded clothes in the entryway of their bedroom door. For five days they stepped over it to get into their room. Five days! We finally had to threaten them with a week of early bedtimes until they emptied the basket. I had a sneaking suspicion that they threw them all in the hamper just to get rid of them.

I did pretty well on Saturday. I cleaned and de-cluttered the kitchen, library and den. I remained vigilant, like a Roman soldier guarding the gates from the northern barbarians. I even managed to spend 2 hours in the garden while the boys played the Xbox, hypnotized by the flashy movements of animated warriors.

On Sunday, however, I was tired. I spent 30 minutes in my room putting away my own clean clothes. When I emerged, it was too late. The trashing had begun. I was unable to do more than utter a half-hearted protest. When SO’s at work, I’m outnumbered. It’s easier to retreat, cowering in the corner until he gets home.

Usually, when I'm at my lowest point, and I think my skills as a parent suck, the kids will do something that will make it all worthwhile. After I'd dressed for church, it was LegoGuy who said, "Mom, you are so beautiful." And he was sincere! Thank God for make-up.

That night, as I tucked Sport into bed, he pulled me close and whispered something into my ear.

"I can't even count how many times I farted today."

Priceless!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to, absolutely had to go grocery shopping yesterday. I had to bring the kids with me. I hate stores that think they have to keep moving things around. I hate grocery shopping with the kids. By the time I got to the other side of the store my nerves were frayed and I was only hanging on by a micro thread. At one point I told my kids that God was going to punish me for a bad life by making me go grocery shopping with kids for eternity! Boy I had one lady laughing! She was totally sympathetic. She got lucky that day and was able to have her kids with someone else. Pastgrace

Anonymous said...

Had to, absolutely had to go grocery shopping yesterday. I had to bring the kids with me. I hate stores that think they have to keep moving things around. I hate grocery shopping with the kids. By the time I got to the other side of the store my nerves were frayed and I was only hanging on by a micro thread. At one point I told my kids that God was going to punish me for a bad life by making me go grocery shopping with kids for eternity! Boy I had one lady laughing! She was totally sympathetic. She got lucky that day and was able to have her kids with someone else. Pastgrace

Anonymous said...

All things farting--don't you love boys? We almost lost my Dad when #1 son referred to his blue sports drink as Smurf whiz--I don't think they ever out-grow it.

And feminazi mom (#2 son's name for moi) recommends having those boys do their own laundry--especially sports gear. Just a thought.

St. Fiacre said...

I agree with Tex. I am in favor of strict division of laundry duty along gender lines. I do all the laundry for three girls and myself and let's just say once a month it can be pretty arduous for a guy.

But check out this article, Queen.
http://tinyurl.com/yxd3mp
and check out the second paragraph. Man, we Gen Xers are such great parents.

QueenBee said...

I feel your pain. I've been a bit discouraged lately. I used to try to keep my home spotless, but all the hard work goes down the tubes in five minutes. I cleaned their room Monday afternoon, last night there were little scraps of paper everywhere. I mean, they see us constantly cleaning, why doesn't it rub off on them? I realize they are kids, but how can they function in such messes? I've done the test too, and my girls didn't pass either. It has no boundaries...age, sex, race-- they just don't care. But every night when they go to bed, they tell me they love me and my heart melts.

craftyminx said...

I'm pretty sure in the 23 years I've been alive my mom has blown up at me a million and a half times for leaving stuff laying about. She did the laudry test with me too. I waited that one out for a long time. I'm sure I actually put the clothes away eventually, but I could have just as easily thrown them in the dirty basket again (something I still do if I don't have room for something in my dresser)haha. Its not laziness just lack of space and too much stuff.