Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My "So-Called John"

I have vivid dreams. Sometimes they are really disturbing, like the one I had after spending a solid month cataloging materials for the Holocaust Resource Collection (HRC) for the downtown library. In this nightmare, I was herded into the back of a truck with a group of wailing women. We all clung to each other, sobbing, because we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that our husbands and children were dead. During college, I had one in which a serial killer came crashing through my window with two white wolves at his side. He proceeded to stab me. I’ve also witnessed a nuclear explosion. That one really sucked.

But I don’t always have nightmares. Once I dreamed Bono was my best friend. I have dreams where I fly over rooftops, and it’s a really great feeling. My most recent dream involved Leonardo DiCaprio, communion, and sweaty sex. (I’m not even going to try to interpret that one.)

Like his mother, Sport has some really interesting dreams. The last one he told us about was hilarious. I don’t remember the subject matter now, but there was a guy in it who went by the name of “So-Called John.” Where did Sport come up with that one? Perhaps he’s heard me talking about my latest endeavor to make a couple of new friends. (You know who you are, J & D!)

Am I wrong in thinking that making new friends carries with it a certain level of unease? It’s a lot like dating. We all try to put ourselves in the best possible light, opening up a tad here and there to expose a hint of who we really are. That means being a little vulnerable and risking the agony of rejection.

At the beginning of a new friendship, shades of sarcasm and twists of language can easily be misinterpreted. What if I say something that I think is really clever but J thinks is absolutely stupid? What if D thinks I’m too old to really contribute anything of value to her life? What if they remove me from their FaceBooks and never even tell me why?

I guess I shouldn’t sweat it. I’m pretty much beyond the point of worrying about what other people think of me. Still, there’s just enough self-doubt lurking beneath the surface to make the whole process of friend-making unnerving.

But I really like making new friends. And I love being around old ones. It’s so much better than having a bad dream. Unless “So-Called John” is there, and we’re hanging out with Bono while flying over rooftops in order to escape a nuclear holocaust.

7 comments:

Le Bohemian Corsair said...

Am I not cool enough to get a real nickname on your blog? Have we not reached that level of friendship yet? I kid, I kid. I really wish that you had been able to accompany us tonight - it would have been marvelous :)

pastgrace said...

Dreams!!! I don't have dreams that I remember. I did when I was a child but I don't now. While pregnant is the only time I have dreams that I remember. They are bizaar and disturbing. Each child illicited different types of dreams. While carrying Miss Independence I was haunted by dreams of murder and mayhem. I even had that nuclear bomb dream. Only it was the end of the world and no one survived. My hell was to review that instance and the events leading up to it over and over again through infinity. Terrifying! Just for that reason I hope I'm never pregnant again.

craftyminx said...

I don't know about "d" but I know I'm always up for mentorship and getting advice from old people. I'm glad you are enjoying your gloves and no I won't be running with scissors anytime soon.

Adjective Queen said...

Hey, come on! I'm not that old!

St. Fiacre said...

Puppy love makes me sick. Can't you all get a room?

craftyminx said...

just kidding hehe

QueenBee said...

I can relate. I am reading a book where there are hostages and some of it is really disturbing. Of course, I've been having dreams of being held hostage, getting shot, escaping a dangerous situation. I realize that because I'm reading this book, I'm having these dreams, but it doesn't make them that less disturbing.