Monday, August 28, 2006

In space, no one can hear you scream

We’ve been tormenting LegoGuy for months with our plan to introduce him to the world of scary films. One benefit of having children is passing on to them our own quirky interests and passions. Like many Americans, we love a good scare. Now that LegoGuy’s stepped across the threshold into the teenage years, we figured that the thunderstorm that hit us on Saturday was a perfect night to pull out one of our favorite scare fests, Alien.

Sure, there are other films out there that can scare the bejeezus out of you. Personally, I can’t stand to watch any more serial killer movies. They come too close to reality and make me have nightmares. I’m not willing to expose my kid to blood and gore extravaganzas since I don’t even like those, myself. I like thrillers rather than horror. I like an original idea, something that’s smart rather than shocking. I like movies that keep you thinking about them days after the first viewing.

Alien fits all my criteria. Think about it for a second. A crew of seven stumbles across a radio signal that is unlike anything they’ve ever seen before. When they investigate, one of their members is attacked by a facehugger. The victim haplessly incubates an alien life form that later bursts from his chest, sheds its skin at an alarming rate and grows into an immense, acid dripping, killing machine. To me, the alien is not nearly as frightening as the aspect of becoming an incubator for its progeny. That’s horror, folks.

LegoGuy spent much of the second half of the movie with a pillow over his head. When Ripley battled the beast, blasting it into space through the hold of her escape shuttle, he could barely breathe.

“That was the most tense thing I have ever seen,” he said when it was finally over. Later, I heard him retelling the whole story to his brother, who’d been holed up in our bedroom watching cartoons. Sport’s not old enough to appreciate the thrill of a good scare. He’s still got some real horrors to deal with in the next few years: his first real crush, sex-ed classes, and co-ed bathrooms.

When faced with co-ed bathrooms, I'll take an incubating chestburster anytime.

3 comments:

St. Fiacre said...

OK, but when I say Alien the first time, yes it was scary, but for me it was extra scary because of the excitement of watching an R movie when I was 12 in complete defiance of my parents.

Wait, there can't be co-ed bathrooms! That's what the ERA was going to give us and we defeated that sucker!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! Does anyone remember Charlie in the wood work? It was from a television in the early 70s. I don't remember the name but I do remember Charlie in the wood work, and if I'm not careful I'm going to be screaming in the middle of the night while checking of the girls. Took years before I got to where I could walk in the dark.
PastGrace

Anonymous said...

You should check out Cache (Hidden), a French thriller that is both smart AND shocking. One scene (you can't miss it) literally took my breath away.