Thursday, August 10, 2006

Piano teachers are from Hell

There’s something about Sport’s piano teacher that really intimidates me. Maybe it’s the golden tint of her waist-length, peroxide-treated hair, or the flash of turquoise on her well-manicured toes. Possibly, it’s the glitter and flair of the rings she wears on every finger of each hand. Or it could be the way she applies a layer of thick pan makeup to hide the wrinkles around her eyes, a clever and skillful way of disguising the fact that her 60th birthday is fast approaching.

Don't get me wrong -- she's a good teacher. She’s very talented, but her intensity is a little scary. She eats musical notes for breakfast. But I've always thought music teachers were a bit odd. She seems to have conversations with the busts of composers sitting on shelves near her piano. She’s also got about 10 cats living with her. And Sport loves her.

Once she chewed him out over a poorly-practiced piece of music. Sitting there on the piano bench, tears filled his eyes. “I’m just a little child,” he told her. One look at his pooling baby blues, and she broke down and hugged him. From that moment on, it’s like he became her favorite student. Is it because he had the courage to talk back to her? That he wasn’t afraid to show his emotions? Or is it because he’s just too darn cute to resist?

I’ve had many piano teachers over the years, but the one I remember with the most clarity is Mrs. Stout. She was a little old woman with gnarled hands and a sour expression. My sister and I went each week to her house, dutifully dropped off by Dad. The house smelled of baby oil and something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. (Was it tapioca?) Being the oldest, I’d go first. She’d wrestle my fingers into position. When I played a wrong note, she’d slap me on the back of the hand with a ruler. I really didn’t like her.

She had an ancient bulldog. We’d hear his labored breathing long before he appeared in the living room, his toenails clattering on the tile floor. He’d sit on the floor near Mrs. Stout’s handmade ragdolls. He looked comically out of place next to those bright, embroidered smiles.

Last night, Sport’s teacher chastised him over the quality of his scales. I tensed, waiting for her to pull a ruler out and smack him on the hands. Instead, she gave him a high five and a piece of candy.

Times have certainly changed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know teachers of extracurricular activities only chew out the talented students. They are under no law, like the no child left behind, to make sure the students "get it". They aren't going to waste their time on the untalented. : ) Pastgrace