Friday, August 25, 2006

Secrets and flies

Not long ago, I cataloged a book called PostSecret. It documented a community art project in which people were invited to anonymously share a secret. Written on postcards, the secrets poured in: regrets, fears, betrayals, confessions, childhood humiliations. Many of the postcards were handcrafted -- little works of art in themselves. Browsing through the book, there are some startling revelations:

* He's been in prison for two years because of what I did.
9 more to go.
* I tell people I'm an atheist, but I believe
I'm going to Hell.
* I'm sorry. We were young, and I think about -- and regret --
it every day.
* I faked sorrow at my Dad's funeral, when I, in fact,
was selfishly happy I didn't have to wipe his butt anymore.

So what's my dark, terrible secret? I was discussing this with a friend the other day. Brace yourself:

* I once stood by while a neighbor kid drowned a toad.
I didn't intervene.

No big deal, really, except to the toad. But I still feel badly about it. I came up with another one last night:

* I like eating in hole-in-the-wall restaurants, despite the flies.

The dark thoughts I have from time to time would probably take up an entire package of postcards, but the only person I'd ever be comfortable sharing them with is my therapist. Sometimes when I'm really tired, and the demands of parenting overwhelm me, I wonder what it would be like to be childless. Sometimes, late at night, when my parents are driving me crazy (which is most of the time), I wish I was an orphan. When the sun comes up, I'm usually able to chase these thoughts away, and face the day with a renewed optimism.

Sometimes.

1 comment:

maddador said...

Several of my peers and I sat around and consumed that entire book on one of the nights of a ridiculously popular immersion, The Bookstore Excursion, nights.
The 'ridiculously' isn't so appropriate, since I believe I happen to be the founder of them.
Anyway, we read every page.
A few of them nodded sincerely, enthralled at several of the sillier you've just reference.
A few of those nodded sincerely at those I'm sure were intended as caustic, biting jokes and laughed at those several of the sillier.
All in all, I decided it fell in somewhere around the literary arena of "cool idea; I'd like to contribute to that" and thought about creating an intricate postcard and sending it in. I was inspired, man.
But my inspiration streak subsided, probably because I've ceased to encounter something PostSecret worthy in my sheltered fourteen years.
Maybe we should make something up.
Just for the hey of it.