Thursday, August 31, 2006

Welcome to my cat blog

I was working on a book Monday that really got under my skin. In it, the author made a passing remark about blogs, breaking them down into three categories: cat blogs: in which people write about their pets, children, lovers, jobs, likes and dislikes; boss blogs, in which employers post information pertinent to their employees; and viral blogs, in which the passionate try to affect a change, primarily in politics.

I was a little insulted, so I visited urbandictionary.com to take a look at some other definitions. There, I was subjected to a rude beating about the head, chest, and neck. As of this moment, there are 36 different definitions of the word blog, most of which are derogatory. I mean, some people really don’t like them:

A meandering, blatantly uninteresting online diary that gives the author the illusion that people are interested in their stupid, pathetic life. Consists of such riveting entries as "homework sucks" and "I slept until noon today."

A place where people bitch about their daily activities in which nobody else is interested. Topics covered include (but are not limited to): why they argued with a boyfriend; how they ended up together at last; daily anorexic activities like drinking blended organic fruits and vegetables for breakfast, lunch and dinner; talking about cutting themselves with a razor blade and how good it felt; bitching about their shopping activities and what they got, etc.

A page on the internet, regularly updated by someone who, ostensibly, can find nothing better to do with their time.

Zipping over to Wikipedia, I was somewhat mollified to read a less insulting definition:

The modern blog evolved from the online diary where people would keep a running account of their personal lives.

Folks, I’m not interested in forcing the hapless internet user into reading inane and rambling postings all about me ... me ... me. I think of my blog as a writing exercise, and a great way to keep friends and family informed about what’s going on with me and my family. When I first started keeping a blog, I sent an email to all my friends and selected family members, excited about this new tool. I don’t think they were nearly as excited about it as I was. To date, I’m certain that one out-of-town friend keeps up with me on a regular basis (you know who you are, Sweetcheekscakes), and a New Orleanian college pal may read it occasionally, but rarely comments. I have some devoted in-town friends that read it, and their comments and positive feedback keep me stoked.

So, okay, I’ll admit it. I’m the proud owner of a cat blog. And I don’t even have a cat. But I do have a dog name Bella, and I discovered the other day that I have somehow turned her from an independent, feisty little Westie into a tittie baby of immense proportions.

But that’s a posting for another day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to learn how you turned your dog into a tittie baby.

--infrequent new orleans poster.

Anonymous said...

i want to learn how you turned your dog into a tittie baby.

--infrequent new orleans poster.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. You're a bit hot under the collar. Girl lighten up-- it's just a blog. Pastgrace

Adjective Queen said...

That's not heat, that's chagrin. I'm just hoping all those friends I emailed didn't view the starting up of my blog as pathetic.

St. Fiacre said...

With apologies to John Lee Hooker:

One night I was layin' down,
I heard mama 'n papa talkin'
I heard papa tell mama, let that girl bloggie-woggie,
it's in her, and it got to come out
And I felt so good,
went on blogg'n just the same

http://www.dubba.com/hookah/lyrics/boogiechillun.htm

Anonymous said...

I suppose all bloggers go through this--guess you could call it meta-navel-gazing--I think there's a lot of navel-gazing at the heart of blogging (sorry), and then we have to think about why we think that's a worthwhile effort. I was reading kottke.org who was doing some of the same--mulling over why he writes. He quoted George Orwell's 1947 essay Why I Write--his #1 reason is "sheer egoism".

So I suppose there's a grain of truth, and I can say that it certainly is fun to read them-- yours, Gouldie's, SweetCheeksCakes, pastgrace, and until it's recent demise, St. Fiacre--it appeals to my curious nature (formerly known as snoopy)to peak into the lives of others. :-)

Too bad all I can come up with lately are funny names--or maybe it's more interesting than reading about family. Who knows? I have to admit that I haven't really had the nerve to spread the word in my extended family that the cat blog is there.