Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Building fences

With the increase in blogging among friends and co-workers, I've experienced a new sensation in the mornings: an itch to log on and quickly check new postings. Eeyore sets the bar pretty high, and I'm in awe of The Advocate's dead deer story. With palms sweating and heart beating in anticipation, I checked their blogs this morning. It's too much! I've got to stop reading their stuff first thing in the a.m. It's too distracting. I can't write about what's on my mind after reading what's on theirs. I'm scared of plagiarizing.

Been noticing blogs a lot more lately. Diane Rehm featured a couple of bloggers talking about their new book. Very interesting. I think Shank is finally going to take the plunge. After working on mine for awhile, I like to browse through some of the others here on Blogger.com and see what the buzz is. Some are really unique, like the dullest blog in the world. But most are like mine, random expositions on daily life and events.

A recent dream has been haunting me. Key elements:

1. a car that breaks down in the middle of Washington, D.C. traffic
2. an abandoned apartment
3. an anonymous letter
4. being trapped in the back of a station wagon.

Eeyore gave me a quick dream analysis and basically it boils down to:

1. being frightened that the direction or flow of my life is stuck
2. my financial future (or that of someone close to me) does not look good
3. a change of news or change in status is pending
4. there are many things I cannot control

At this stage in my life, there's so much I have to let go of -- I've got to recognize I can't control certain situations or outcomes and listen to the wisdom of a buddy:

"Build fences around what you hold dear and mind them and mend them and call it a good day's work."

1 comment:

St. Fiacre said...

You should get together with SGK. This afternoon she came in from school and let out this exasperating sigh and said, "I've got to change three things in my life: my attitude, my mind and my mode!" I'm not sure what that means, but she's onto something I'll bet.