Thursday, March 16, 2006

Who is the Adjective Queen?




I love words and get a kick out of writing. I was nicknamed the "Adjective Queen" by The Professor, my college advisor and head of the journalism department. During my senior year, I served informally as assistant to the editor of the college newspaper, a guy I'll call Snickers (one of my best friends, and truly one of the easiest people to crack up I have ever known. He consistently makes me feel like a comedienne.)

Snickers and I would often be up really late the night before we put the paper to bed. Around 2:30 a.m. we would get the giggles, and as we sized the last photograph or typed out the last caption, I started the hilarious (at least to us) tradition of writing up a recap of the night's activities. They started out as a couple of simple paragraphs, with a few wild embellishments to entertain The Professor. Eventually, these stories would be spun into tales so unbelievable that we'd be unable to catch our breath due to paroxysms of hysterical laughter.

By the time we reached the end of Spring semester, the Snickers of my stories had become a tyrant of Hitlerian proportions, forcing the newspaper staff to participate in the madness of his altered reality. Once, our fictitious selves were made to impersonate the whole cast of the Mod Squad. Later, he broke the back of a popular redheaded cheerleader, then ordered her to hock her body cast in order to bail him out of prison. He was truly shameless.

The stories I left for The Professor were completely over the top, filled with descriptions laced with every creative adverb and adjective I could think of; one immediately comes to mind: the inky blackness that was her hair. Snickers and I tossed that phrase around for years.

I've had other nicknames, but have a particular fondness for the Adjective Queen. It brings back those late night laugh sessions, typing up absurdities and watching Snickers attempt a back flip off a waist-high stool. Classic college antics.

There's more to me than a love of language. But I'll save that for another posting.

Current obsession
Getting my garden weeded before the Oklahoma killer mosquitoes hatch
Currently reading
Drawn to extremes: the use and abuse of editorial cartoons -- Chris Lamb
Favorite candy bar
Choxie raspberry lemon cruch with lemon biscotti (distributed by Target)
Newest fear
Drought + high winds =
wildfires!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snickers here... I'd totally forgotten that I once attempted a flip off of a barstool. I'm reminded of that joke about a redneck's last words: "Hold my beer and watch this."

:)