Friday, March 31, 2006

Rubbernecking the Batmobile

Today's my birthday, and SO surprised me with a really cool gift from Signals, our favorite catalog. We rarely buy anything from it (mainly we leaf through it and make wish-lists) so the day started out on a high note.

Another bonus was the radio report I heard as I drove into work this morning: "Traffic is backed way up on I-40 due to the breakdown of a Batmobile replica on the shoulder. Slow-downs occurring due to drivers rubbernecking the Batmobile."

The Batmobile -- in Oklahoma City? How did I miss that one?

It totally made my day, even though I didn't get to see it. Instead, I was treated to a 3-car pile-up with an overturned vehicle. I fear that someone probably didn't make it out of that one, and I refuse to dwell on death on my birthday.

I was whining a little to SO last night. "I'm 42, and haven't written the great American novel. 42, and still living on the prairie when I always wanted to live in the mountains. 42, and never been to Australia."

He was having none of that. "42, and you've never had cancer; 42, and you've been to Egypt; 42, and now writing a blog."

Then, there was the StoryCorps feature I heard on NPR about the 100-year-old man who was finally retiring from the job he held for more than 70 years. What are his future plans? He's going to do volunteer work at centers for senior citizens. That's moxie!

Enough perspective, already.

Today's stats
Cards/Ecards received: 10
Birthday Emails: 2
Phone calls: 3
Hugs: 6
Batmobiles broken down: 1
Minutes spent in traffic jam: 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, AQ! The best is yet to be.
I actually saw the Batmobile yesterday--I think I'd blocked it out until I read your blog. It was hilarious. I was going down to the Centennial Expy on my way to that most lovely of public buildings in OKC, the State Dept of Health, and I noticed a pickup w/ its hazard lights flashing. The driver was on the phone, of course, and he wouldn't look at me even after I saw what he was "guiding." It really was the Batmobile--with traffic backed up behind it because it was going only about 40mph. Batman was not driving.