Monday, March 27, 2006

Vicarious chills and thrills

Sport was poetry in motion on the soccer field this weekend. He was all over the place, positioning himself to intercept, block, and score -- 2 goals! I tried to read my book (The rock from Mars: a detective story on 2 planets, by Kathy Sawyer) when he wasn't on the field, but got caught up in the game.

I know it's a bit tiresome to read about other people's children and their accomplishments, so I'll try to keep the boasting to a minimum. But I admit to a certain thrill when I hear strangers complimenting my kids. I eavesdropped on the other parents, who commented on Sport's control of the ball, his skill, his speed. I couldn't get enough of it.

I feel the same way when LegoGuy comes home from school and talks about destroying a chess opponent in 3 moves. I try to keep a neutral face, but inside I'm doing a little victory dance.

It must stem from a childhood empty of any real success stories. I played the piano and won a few awards, but I never excelled. I was good at spelling, but never a master. I liked to read (and in 6th grade was named "IO Champ of the Year") but that only emphasized how geeky I was. I memorized Bible verses and was on a quiz team, but so were all the other kids at church. In short, I was mediocre.

So Sport asks me the other day if I was ever an athlete. Never, I told him. Always picked last...for everything. (Although, come to think of it, I did spend a lot of time running away from Laura Pacheco, elementary school bully. All that running led me to join the track team in middle school, where I enjoyed one short year as a somewhat quick runner.)

Truth is, I don't mind being mediocre, as long as my boys are showing signs of being much more accomplished than their mother ever was.

As long as they let me bask a little bit in their glory, I'll be content.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, nothing specific about this posting but after learning no one ever really goes back and looks at last months comments, I shall leave my thoughts with you here. I do have a blog. I am not as creative or as careful as you have been. Nor do I remember what the URL is for the silly thing but there you have it. As you know I never remember anything of significance. ("I saw this really great movie last night! I can't remember the title but...") My blog is bit more morose than yours. I got mine after my best friend died last year. I did find it to be cathartic though.

See you around.

Anonymous said...

snickers--that was funny (from your previous post about college). does he know that's his nickname? by the way, do you think there are going to be enough SNACKS at the 20th reunion? i'm afraid there won't be enough SNACKS for all of us. should i bring some?
i don't know if i am going. that's the weekend my show comes down and i'll have to be here in beautiful new orleans for that.

now you have 2 comments, you egomaniac!